24.9.11

yum yums!

I've been eating all sorts of goodness here in Japan. I keep trying to take photos of it before I eat it, but I'm horrible at remembering to do that. Usually I already ate 3/4s of it before I realize I didn't take a picture. woops. so, here's some food, I'll do my best to have more food pictures later.

So my high school had a dinner with traditional Japanese food, including Matsue specialties. Some of it was delicious, some not so much, but definitely interesting. Also, there was tons of food! It just kept coming.

 Shijimi clams. A Matsue specialty, out of the local Shinji lake. Looked terrifying but was really delicious. They actually kind of tasted like chicken, although no one else seemed to think so. I wonder if what they were cooked in made it delicious. Also, some of the clam meat was super hard to get out of the shells with chopsticks. I got it all in the end though!

 Sashimi. It was staring at me...

 Fried squid. Very popular at festivals and such here. It was super chewy but not bad. I don't think it would be my first choice though.

 More sashimi! There was more of it, but I ate it. The tuna went first. The white fish on the leaf was also good. The white squid under the chopsticks did not agree with my tastebuds.

 Ebi (shrimp) salad. They were also staring at me, saying please don't eat me!

 Heather also teaches at my girls high school. She's a vegetarian, so she got her own special menu of nabe, veggies cooked in a hot pot. She also got vegetable tempura. She had enough food to feed a family of 5. She let me eat her delicious potatoes! 

 Banana milk! Almost all the milk here is whole milk. Takes a little getting used to. But Banana milk is delicious! They also have vanilla milk, which is like drinking an ice cream cone. yum!

 Konbini bubble tea! (Konbini is a term for convenience store. like Seven-Elevens and such.) It's already made and packaged, you just take it off the shelf and pay for it. Even comes with a collapsible straw. The tapioca is not round balls, but crescents. It's not bad, but legit bubble tea is definitely better.
 Beautiful lattes at a cafe! takes me back to my barista days.

A different cafe, where we got parfaits (except Jake, he got a mocha frost, which I assume is like a mocha frappe.) Cafes are a big thing, they serve fancy drinks and desserts and some serve food. 

My beautiful yogurt parfait! It was delicious!

Cafe Satan! We didn't go because it was closed, and it's a cafe snack bar, which means you pay cover to get in as well as for your food and drinks. So we're not going to go there, but the name cracks me up. I wonder if that was the actual name they were going for...

No comments:

Post a Comment