12.9.11

Ahoy Mateys!

So I've been settling down into living here in Matsue, which is more challenging in some ways then others. Driving on the wrong side of the road was terrifying! Luckily, I only hit the curb twice, and have yet to hit any pedestrians or cyclists, which there are many of. They are everywhere. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it now, and now longer turn on my windshield wipers instead of my turn signals. Yay progress!

The thing that has been most helpful to me feeling like I belong here, or at least comfortable and happy are the lovely group of fellow ALTs also in Matsue. They've all been very helpful and welcoming, especially translating for me when I get strange letters in the mail or I'm trying to buy things in stores. Also, in showing me around. I get lost so easily.

They met us for curry, (Japanese people love curry! who knew) and then I got to introduce the best game in the world to them, Ligretto!

Ryan, Saki, Michael, and Ty :)

We are just that adorable.

 At Aeon, a departo. It's like a mall.
Ryan, Michael, Saki, Jake, Kayla, Ty.

 Ligretto!



For Ryan's birthday we adventured out to a Pirate Bar. They locked us in a cell like room, and if you had to leave to go to the bathroom or smoke, you had to ring a bell and they'd unlock the door. Fire hazard waiting to happen if you ask me, but entertaining. It was all you can drink for 2 hours, 1000yen. Depending on how the money exchanges, that roughly $10-12. A pretty good deal. The locals were pretty entertained by us, and kept buying us drinks as well. I was drinking umeshu, which is a type of plum wine that tastes like sweet tarts.

 In our cell: Kayla, Heather, Ty, Michael

 We're locked in! Saki seems real upset about it.

 When you go in the cell, you fill out a paper with a crew name and your crime. Then, at the end of the 2 hours, an employee comes and takes your picture, and you get a wanted poster added to the wall.

 For his birthday, Ryan got a shnazzy hat, glasses, and a parfait that's mostly cereal. Kellogs corn flakes, or the japanese equivalent covered in whipped cream and fruit. They also sang happy birthday to him in English.



Happy Japanese friend! He was hilarious.

Yarrrrrr!

3 comments:

  1. That DOES sound like a fire hazard - but fun! Are you doing any teaching yet, or just drinking and Ligretto-playing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I've been teaching a bit. It's very nerve wracking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Japanese tiny wines!! That pirate bar looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete